Sunday 18 December 2011

ESL ACTIVITIES

Although I will be teaching at an American school where the majority of students are native english speakers, there are plenty of pupils who have english as their second language. This website is a great resource for teachers. I have already used it once in my teacher practice here in Sweden. It is very beneficial and extremely user friendly. eslactivities.com

This website is new and still under some construction, which means it will only grow from here. It has many different activities, games, lesson plans, and other resources to use as an English as a Second Language teacher. Eslactivities.com is a free website with customary activities. You can design and create your own bingo cards, crossword puzzles, interactive games, and more. From the website you can save it directly to your computer, or print immediately. This makes it simple, quick and easy to use.
As a student, you can benefit from the activities on this webpage substantially. Teachers can create things that make learning english fun, easy, and memorable. As the teacher you can design things the way in which you want them to be. Everything is customary and yet very original and basic.

When creating a simple game print out, this website does all of the hard work for you. As I created a picture bingo board game for my class, all I needed to do was find the pictures of my words, and give a clue for each one. As I uploaded the pictures and typed my clues, my board was progressively produced.  I printed it directly from the site, and was ready to play my game the very next day at school. The students really loved playing. I did not give them any words directly, only clues, and they had to mark off the picture that I was describing. This activity worked very well. They really had to understand what I was saying to be able to win the game. This was a simple and beneficial activity.

Other items on the website can provide even more. There is a spelling game that the website provides. You have to download a voice plug in for the application to work, but this is very neat and again, can be very useful.

I really enjoy this websites simplicity. Everything takes you through step by step, and creates a fun and interactive activity for you and your class.

Here is a link so that you can demo one of the games provided on the website. http://eslactivities.com/hangman/demo.php
As a user, you can customize the game with your very own clues and words. This makes these fun games apply to any vocabulary subject being learned. This takes learning a list of vocabulary words to a whole new level.

I hope that this website finds you as much ease and happiness as it did me.
Good luck!!

-Jordan Aste

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jordan,
    I have never heard about this ICT resource before and it seems to be very useful in school. It is good to have some help to make own activities. Sometimes it is difficult to find a ready activity which suits what the teacher wants the pupils to practice. This site is perfect to use in this cases. It seems quite simple to use and it does not take that long to use. Lack of time is very common for teachers so this site will help very much.
    It is very good to get a link to a game so it is possible to try immediately. There is a greater chance of using it if the teacher can see how it works for the pupils. I like that it is not necessary to know exactly where the letter will be. The pupil can choose a letter and the game put it in the right place. This will help the pupil very much. I dislike that the word disappears when the pupil chooses the last letter and the whole word is never shown. If the pupil is not sure about the spelling and guess there is no chance to learn it. If the pupil does not know which word it is or if it is wrong spelled or just takes too long the right answer is not shown either. The pupil will not learn new words in this way. This is a disadvantage. Hopefully this will be changed soon when the constructers get comments about it.
    I look forward to the completed page and perhaps it will be used very much in school in the future.
    Annika Lönn

    ReplyDelete