Monday 2 January 2012

Lektion.se - a great resource for teachers

I will tell you about lektion.se, a website which can be a very time saving and inspiring as a teacher.

How the site works

When you first visit lektion.se you will need to create an account for yourself. This is very easy, you just fill in your personal details and e-mail adress. Once you have created your account, the site is very easy to use.
There are a lot of lessons which are ready to be used in all of the subjects from pre-school to class 9. For example, if you want to find a good lesson in English that deals with Christmas, you just search for "Christmas", select the subject English and the age of your class. You will find lots of well-planned lessons with different difficulty levels. People rate the uploaded lessons which means you can sort your search by popularity. That way, you will most likely get the best lessons first. Once you find a lesson you like, you can download it as a .pdf file and it is ready to use.
The lessons are the main function of lektion.se, but the site also has a very active forum where you can discuss lessons, different subjects, there is even a category for librarians. The "lessons" category is the biggest one, it has over 38,000 posts in it! The forum is also a great place to find inspiration and tips.

Different ways for teachers to use lektion.se

The teacher can simply download a lesson and use it straight away. But if you want to make it more personal you can look at different lessons, take the parts that you like and combine them into a lesson of your own and make it more personal. By doing that, you can adjust the difficulty level to make it fit your own class. You can also just use the site to get inspiration and ideas you might not have came up with otherwise. The forum is a great place to discuss the work as a teacher, there are many active teachers with much experience who are active on the forum.

Lektion.se truly is a useful site that is both inspiring and saves time. Try it out!

Jonas Nilsson

5 comments:

  1. I have some things to say about Lektion.se. I think some of the lessons that teachers upload there is quite interesting and useful. Some of them is really colorful and works well with pupils who just started English. On my VFU I kind of searched and looked at all the English lessons available on this site and of all these I found only five or six which were really good. Some of the teachers are hardcore grammar translation teachers. A lot of lessons is “fill in the right words”lessons or translate this sentence into Swedish. Like I said in the beginning there is some good stuff on this site but it is still too much old school rubbish for my taste. If you like a lesson you can click on a button and give “thumbs up” . One thing I noticed was that if a lesson had many thumbs up it was not so good according to me but some of the lessons with just a few thumbs up I found really good. That is a interesting pattern I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I have also used Lektion.se a lot during my VFU periods. I have found the web page both immensely useful and frustrating at times. There’s an assortment of lessons on the site. Some of them are better than others. And the quality and detail in of the descriptions can wary a lot. It really depends whole lot on, who posted the lesson. And at times I have found lessons half finished and/or completely without descriptions. Or missing certain parts which makes them completely useless. But at the same time you can always voice your opinion with the poster about each lesson. And give thumbs up/down about how good/bad the lesson is.
    I’ve also found the site frustrating at times. I have often searched for something specific on the site without finding it. And at times finding something one day but not being able of finding it the next day. But that just might be bad luck on my part. But overall i would say it is great site with a lot of options and advice for teachers.

    //ML

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jonas!
    I was happy to see this site on your blog post since I also think it is a very good site. It is an excellent site to use for inspiration and to get new ideas. Some of the best things about this site are that it is easy to find lessons and as you say you can use what you want. It is also good because you can find lessons that are suitable for different levels. You have written a good explanation of how to use it and it is good that you bring up the simplicity of this site and how easy it is to access. You have given a good example of how easy it is to use, you pick a subject, the age and a search word. It was also good that you brought up the forum which I found interesting as I have never noticed that page before. I think you have done a great job with you blog post, easy and simple just like Lektion.se.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Lektion.se. But now that I did hear about it I think it is a really good idee. Even if there is a lot of stuff you will not use or that you do not like it can work as an inspiration site. If you find an activity or a lesson that you kind of like I guess you can just add, change or take away parts that will make it your own lesson which will fit your class.

    I like the fact about the forum, I think it can always be nice to speak to other teachers for inspiration. Furthermore, it can be great as a new teacher to talk to other teachers with more and different experience. I will for sure use this site in the future.
    //Cecilia Jansson

    ReplyDelete